Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Off to Exotic Lands

If studying Swahili isn’t enough for me as a swelter away in this thick humidity, I thought I would add a little to the dew point by spending a few days – not just at the coast, but out in the Indian Ocean.

I am going to Zanzibar.

I am joining the Norwegian family but decided to stay half the time at a different hotel from theirs because it’s less expensive and give me the option of looking around the largest town on the island. I tried to do some research before making the decision, but the only guide books in the library here at school are from 1990. (Sadly, that doesn’t sound like long ago but it is.) There was hardly more than a paragraph in each book. They warned women to not wear pants and that men would get a free hair cut if their hair was more than 5 centimeters long.

I have quizzed those I know that have been there more recently and it doesn’t sound anything like that anymore. As I mentioned, I am looking forward to the break. I really need it. I would appreciate prayers for travel mercies and that whatever is ailing my tummy will subside. We make an early start this morning and I won’t be taking my laptop with me.

How can I be gone for so many days? This is Easter break. March 20th is a national holiday because its Mohammed’s birthday and it just so happened to fall before Good Friday, also a national holiday here. Then Monday is Easter Monday, also a national holiday in this country. So it just worked out.

I hope to amble around Stone Town, take a spice tour and attend church at one built on the site of a former slave trade block. I will try to post as many photos as possible when I get back.

Have a blessed holiday.

Christ Is Risen, He Is Risen Indeed!

1 comment:

Grace Lee said...

A spice tour! Please tell us all about it.
love,
Lee