Tuesday, November 27, 2007

caught off-guard

Today I was working on letters to ask for support from some churches. I was searching for a Bible verse to add to the letter that talks about glorifying God. I ran across Isaiah 61:1-3. I have read these verses before, even recently but today I started to tear up as soon as I read the passage.


The Spirit of the Lord GOD is upon me, because the LORD has anointed me to bring good news to the poor;

he has sent me to bind up the brokenhearted, to proclaim liberty to the captives, and the opening of the prison to those who are bound;

to proclaim the year of the LORD's favor, and the day of vengeance of our God; to comfort all who mourn;

to grant to those who mourn in Zion-- to give them a beautiful headdress instead of ashes, the oil of gladness instead of mourning, the garment of praise instead of a faint spirit;

that they may be called oaks of righteousness, the planting of the LORD, that he may be glorified.


The emotions that welled up inside of me were first for wanting so desperately to be in Kenya bringing good news to the poor. I want them to have gladness instead of mourning. I want them to be solid oaks of righteousness, not dried up sticks and twigs instead a growing, alive people. But most of all I want to enable those in East Africa to glorify the Lord!

If you are inclined to pray please ask the Father on my behalf for the remaining support to come in, that I may go and plant in people that they may glorify Him.

1 comment:

Grace-n-Glory said...

I love the OAKS of Righteousness passage. Another passage in Isaiah that I love is found in chapter 58. I think the whole thing is a wonderful call to understand the Lord's heart within His commandments. Our call to bring RESTORATION to the broken places is beautifully articulated there. My favorite 2 verses are 11-12
"And the LORD will guide you continually and satisfy your desire in scorched places and make your bones strong; and you shall be like a watered garden,like a spring of water, whose waters do not fail. And your ancient ruins shall be rebuilt; you shall raise up the foundations of many generations; you shall be called the repairer of the breach, the restorer of streets to dwell in."