Sunday, May 8, 2011

There are just some things that are challenging...

I wish I was an easygoing person. My mom was. In fact, she was the antithesis of the stereotypical worrying, doting mom. That’s not to say she didn’t care about her five children or spoil us from time to time. But she just didn’t have a big agenda for her kids and she was gifted with a pleasant attitude and encouragement that she bestowed on everyone.

I suppose when your mom has been gone for over five years you might think that all the bad memories are faded and one can only remember the happy, fond things that happened. But my mom really was all that wonderful. I could fault her for things, and I can still remember those things. But she really was an extraordinary mom in nearly every sense.She could come and find that article of clothing in my closet that I had been trying to find for a half an hour; she’d pull it right out in a minute. She was a good cook (even though she didn’t really enjoy cooking all that much.) She had her own sense of style. She was incredibly talented and artistic! For example, if I wanted a new hairstyle as a teen she could draw it with my face so we could decide if it would look good on me or not.
I was a happy child until I got to my moody teen years. Then I turned into a dark person. That changed when I met Jesus at age 16, but until then I credit my survival through those years to my mother. Without her I truly believe I wouldn’t have made it. So in a way, God used her to buoy me along until I heard the Gospel message in a clear manner.

For her I am most grateful to God. I still love my mom and miss her ever so much. I don’t know that I will ever have such an incredible deep love relationship with another human being the way I did with my mom. But I will continue to look to God who is the ultimate lover of my soul and who knows my depths more than my mom ever did.

Happy Mother’s Day, Mom.

2 comments:

Jan said...

Can you tell I don't have a whole lot of photos of my mom scanned?

Tony Beach said...

Yeah, I thought it looked familiar, but that's OK. Still a great photo.

Thanks for sharing your sweet memories of your mom. It's inspiring. It seems that you loved her a lot and miss her a lot because of it. I'm sad for you thinking of what that would be like to miss my mom on Mother's Day. It makes me teary-eyed.
Julie