Saturday, April 17, 2010

A Land Full of Beautiful People

As you may remember, I am a sort of connoisseur of faces. I love to drink in the faces of the places I visit. And I probably love those of East Africa the best. What can I say, I’m biased.

Ethiopia is full of beauties. I can’t even explain how absolutely gorgeous nearly everyone is. Ever waitress or service person could be a model. I don’t think I would ever tire of comparing high cheek bones, straight noses and flowing hair. Jane Kilonzo went with me. Jane is Kenyan, Kamba to be exact. And Jane has a bit of an unusually light complexion for a Kenyan. Back in the 90’s when Jane and I would go to aerobics class together we had a friend who was Indian descent. We compared their skin tones finding them essentially the same.

Since Ethiopians are often considered to be a little lighter than Kenyans, I realized on the plane that Jane might get mistaken for an Ethiopian. I told her as much. Maybe even ‘warned’ her that she better learn a little Amharic fast. She assured me that her features were completely Kenyan and that wouldn’t happen.

Ha. People were still speaking to her in Amharic in the Ladies Room after we landed back in Nairobi, knowing she had gotten off the same flight. Jane fit right in with the beauties of Ethiopia. If we dressed her up in their traditional clothes, she’d have to learn the language!

As for me, I would be happy to say amäsägnalähu to each lovely face I saw.

No comments: