Thursday, July 10, 2008

Pain Relief in Africa

Last Sunday evening I realized a strained my lower back. As best I can figure it was maneuvering a gas bottle for my stove from vehicle to house. Things like this happen from time to time. My best remedy is a good dose of ibuprofen and a good night’s sleep. But the pain persisted for two days with no sign of relief. Finally when complaining yet again to Tracy, she offered some of her ibuprofen. I didn’t have any of the local stuff I bought at a pharmacy for an outrageous $14.35. Tracy hauled her mega bottle for America, a big Target generic bottle. A couple of those babies and I was feeling better within a half hour.

Hmm. I had heard of fake drugs. I met a missionary pharmacist in Tanzania who warmed me about this. I guess I should have known when it touted 400 mg in a tablet and they were bright pink. Learning African lessons the hard way.

No comments: