Sunday, February 14, 2010

I haven’t been writing much...

If you haven’t seen me writing much it’s because my life is otherwise crammed with activity. This has been one of our busiest seasons for visitors to Daystar since I arrived. It seems the moment we get a lull it’s just enough margin to rest a bit and get organized for the next round.

I love hosting visitors and taking care of the details related to that. But I also wish I had a little more time for creativity in it all. If it were me actually hosting at my house, I’d be baking and so on. I’d even like to do a little of that for some of our little bit longer staying guests, but as of yet, I’m not that organized.

In some ways it appears that Kenyan culture works best under the pressure of a deadline. Without a very real deadline, things just don’t happen. For example, the best way of getting a guest flat ready for people arriving is tell the folks responsible for the work the visitors are coming in a week! It might take a couple more days to get at it, and you might have to push the cleaning crew out as the visitors come in the drive, but it eventually gets there – at least in some measure.

Depending on the task I work well with a deadline too. If there is anything about the task I really don’t like doing, then I definitely need a deadline. But if it’s things I like to do, even pleasurable, not so much. That is not to say I don’t like writing, or blogging. It’s just that I have had so many other things pressing in. Regardless, I hope to do better, even though our visitors keep coming.

No comments: