Tuesday, April 5, 2011

I Wish I Were a “P”

What I wouldn’t give right now to be a “P” on the Myers Briggs Personality Inventory. If you don’t know what I’m talking about it’s ok. It the last quadrant on the personality indicator that runs on a scale from “Judging” to “Perceiving.” I’m pretty high on the Judging side. It just means that I am a decisive person who likes to plan things out and know what’s ahead.

Having lived in Kenya for some time and having mellowed with age a bit, I can be pretty spontaneous. People who know me well know that I may show up at your house unannounced or call at the last minute to go out and do something. But it’s mostly a learned behavior and my preference is for a plan and sticking with it.

If I were a Perceiver I would be more comfortable with not having a plan at all. I would be a person who really enjoys the process of arriving at decisions, someone who’d relish the path to the next thing. Instead I sit here just wishing I could skip the next several weeks and simply be done on this side.

But as someone commented recently, it’s all for my sanctification. So somehow I am going to keep working on enjoying the moment and living where I am, instead of wishing for the future to be here already.

No comments: