Friday, October 22, 2010

Notes from the Tilt-a-Whirl

I started reading a book I got at the DG Conference. Notes from the Tilt-a-Whirl is an interesting read. It talks about all things ‘normal’ in very imaginative ways. It helps me look at some of what I take for granted in a new light. I expect that was probably the author’s intent and he’d be happy about that.

Maybe it’s easier to look at things from a new perspective when you have recently jumped cultures. I tend to write about traffic – but all my best subjects come while I’m driving whether about cars or not.

The other day while I was driving I was staring at either a new business I hadn’t seen or one that seemed to be missing from its spot and I nearly missed my left turn. I admonished myself, “Pay attention, Jan. You don’t want to get in an accident.”

It’s so easy to become board while driving here and I wondered if most accidents in this town were due to being distracted because there wasn’t much to keep your attention while driving except the things you might be passing by.

I doubt that is the reason for most accidents in Kenya.

No comments: