Thursday, July 16, 2009

Perks of Editing English

I have been at my new job for just over a couple of weeks. Early on I was introduced at Daystar’s morning chapel something like this: Here’s Jan. She’s come from Daystar US to help us out in the resource mobilization dept. If you are a needy student, come and see her. She can help you with your testimony.

You can imagine that no one, but no one heard that last sentence! Since then not a day has gone by that I am actually on campus in the resource mobilization dept that I have not had needy students asking for my help.

I have honed down how I help them by explaining that I do not decide about scholarships and all I can do is help them look over their testimony and get it worded well so it can be attached to the scholarship application.

This means that every day I am reading about the struggles of both Kenyans and internationals. (We have many students from countries that neighbor Kenya and we even have a few West Africans.) God is at work in the lives of so many young people that wouldn’t otherwise get a chance to get some higher education.

What a privilege.

No comments: