Sunday, July 19, 2009

Frustrating Communication

It's Sunday evening and I was thinking it'd be a great time to catch up with some folks. I tried calling a new missionary friend that had sent me a text message in the afternoon. I tried two different mobile phone lines for her. No answer.

I tried calling another friend from last year who just arrived back in the country this week. She'd sent me a message on FB asking where I was since she didn't see me at church today. But her line from last year had a recording, the number you have dialed in not in service.

Then I decided this might be a good time to catch some folks at home on Skype. I first tried a land line using my Skype credit. Their phone answering machine kept telling me that either I was speaking too softly or it was a bad connection and to press two to re-record your message.

Giving up on that I notice my brother was online. So I tried a Skype to Skype call. He answered, but it was so delayed that he couldn't hear me. We tried calling back and forth several time. But to no avail. I finally set him an email.

Modes of technology have greatly increased in the past ten years. But I an convinced that it just makes for more avenues of frustration. If you are waiting for communication from me, please be patient.

post script. this entry took a lot longer than normal to post.

No comments: